A - Z Parent Guide
Beaumaris North Primary School has completed all required Professional Development and training for KidsMatter and has received accreditation and recognition as a KidsMatter School.
KidsMatter Primary is an Australian mental health promotion, prevention and early intervention initiative that aims to improve the mental health of primary school age children. It involves the people and organisations who significantly influence children’s lives – parents, families, carers, schools, teachers, health agencies and community groups – in making a positive difference to children’s mental health and wellbeing during this important developmental period. KidsMatter Primary provides supporting resources and a framework for schools to address children’s mental health and wellbeing.
KidsMatter Primary has identified four areas (components) where schools can help to strengthen their students’ mental health and wellbeing. These make up the core content of KidsMatter Primary. Dividing KidsMatter Primary into the four components is a way of making the task of improving students’ mental health and wellbeing in schools more manageable.
The four components
- A positive school community.
- Social and emotional learning (SEL) for students.
- Parenting support and education.
- Early intervention for students experiencing mental health difficulties.
BNPS students will be engaged in activities that will promote:
- The positive nature of the school community.
- Family-friendly school environments.
- Inclusion and belonging.
It involves the student learning to:
- Recognise and manage emotions.
- Promote caring and concern for others.
- Make responsible decisions.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships.
- Handle challenging situations effectively.
Research shows that schools that promote positive mental health can make a significant difference to the lives of their students. Good mental health in childhood is associated with better prospects later in life, in education, employment and in forming and maintaining relationships. Beaumaris North Primary School is committed to ongoing improvement of student wellbeing through regular reflection and evaluation.
BNPS Staff interviews
You will get an opportunity to learn more about the staff at BNPS by viewing the BNPS Staff Interviews in the school newsletter on a fortnightly basis. Two students are chosen to write questions and interview a staff member, recording their responses. These students are presented with a special KidsMatter Reporter certificate.
Books for Borrowing
BNPS has a range of resources, covering various topics, available for parents to borrow. Some of the books available are on display in the cabinet next to the front Office. If you wish to borrow a resource, please ask one of the Office staff – the resource will be lent out under your child’s name. Books include:
- Raising Boys by Steve Biddulph
- Raising Girls by Gisela Preuschoff
- A Man’s Guide to Raising Kids by Michael Grose
- Tricky Kids by Andrew Fuller
- When Jason’s Dad Moved Away by Jan Liddicut (picture book)
- Building a Secure Parenting Base After Separation by Children In Focus.
The KidsMatter website is a great resource – please take the time to visit!
KidsMatter Parent Information Sheets
A host of great parent information sheets addressing a range of wellbeing issues including; anxiety, anger, friendship issues, managing conflict, separated families, establishing school routines and effective discipline, are available in a display panel next to the staffroom. All of these and many more can also be found on the Information Sheets page of the KidsMatter website.