Free public Services for External Referrals
- The Australian Psychology Society – find a psychologist
- The Australian Clinical Psychology Association – find a clinical psychologist
- Psychology Today – search for clinicians in your area and read about their areas of practice
- Bayside Council – a referral directory should you wish to consider looking for private services
COVID-19 Wellbeing Resources
- Tips for parents and carers during lockdown – Vikki Ryall, Executive Director of Clinical Practice – headspace Australia – Click here to watch video.
- The Department of Education has provided a ‘Quick Guide to Student Mental Health and Wellbeing’.
At this uncertain and difficult time for many families it is really important to look after your wellbeing and your families’ wellbeing. As well as practising general self-care strategies (such as eating a healthy diet, regularly exercising, getting good quality sleep, practising relaxation and mindfulness, trying to find some things you can enjoy and maintaining social connections etc) we have put together a list of resources that may be helpful in giving you some ideas and suggestions to help you to care of yourself and the people you love.
It is important to be aware that the current situation is rapidly changing and therefore some documents may not contain the most up-to-date advice. As always, please refer to https://www.vic.gov.au/coronavirus for the most up-to-date advice and recommendations.
As this resource is a community resource please feel free to let us know if you would like any other articles or sources of support included.
Hints and tips for having discussions with your children
- Helping children to cope with uncertainty during COVID-19
- Wellbeing support for students over the school holidays
- Back-to-School Anxiety during COVID
- Act for Kids – Communicating with Children about Coronavirus
- Family Life – Play and Connections and Surviving School Closures
- Beyond Blue – How educators can help children and young people manage during the coronavirus pandemic
- Emerging Minds – Supporting children during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
- Black Dog Institute – Coronavirus: Reassuring your child about the unknown
- Smiling Mind
- Parenting Ideas – Help kids to beat COVID induced anxiety
- Supporting children’s mental health and wellbeing in difficult times
Australian Childhood Foundation Resources
- Activity Alphabet for Primary Schoolers
- At Home Together with the 4 M’s
- Things to Look Forward to After the Coronavirus
Hints and tips for parents
- A large range of help sheets covering many different topics, including relationships, loneliness and working from home
- Taking care of yourself and your family
- Micro-habits to help you parent better every day
- Supporting parents of 4-8-year-old children with mild to moderate anxiety
- Strategies for maintaining or improving wellbeing at stressful times
- How to respond mindfully to the coronavirus crisis
- A great resource with regularly updated articles
- A large range of helpful articles
- Regularly updated articles
- Helping parents during the covid crisis (12 minute video)
- Mental Health Toolkit
- Modifying an IEP or 504 for Distance or Hybrid Learning
- Managing Your Own Anxiety During School Reopening